Scholarships and Awards
Who should apply?
The Department of Computer Science encourages all students meeting eligibility requirements to apply for individual scholarship opportunities. Please note: The Department of Computer Science does not stack departmental scholarships.
Students applying for Financial Need scholarships must complete their FAFSA by the priority deadline March 1.
For questions about scholarships, please contact Marilee Henry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Department of Computer Science Leading Edge Scholarship 2017-2018
Incoming Freshman with the intention to major in Computer Science, Data Science, Computer Information Systems, or Computing in the Arts
Academic minimum criteria:
- Completion of Pre-Calculus
- In-State: SAT 1200 or ACT 27, Weighted GPA 4.0
- Out-of-State: SAT 1200 or ACT 27, Weighted GPA 3.5
- Achieve admission to the College of Charleston by the time the scholarship is awarded
Renewable up to three years, if the following terms are met:
- Declared Computer Science major (student must declare by the end of their second semester, first year, at CofC)
- GPA greater than or equal to 3.0, and remain in good standing with the College of Charleston Student Honor Code
- Earn a minimum of 30 credit hours during the award year
- Must have completed and passed with a C or better from one of the following: DATA 101, CSCI/CITA 120, CSCI/CITA 180, or CSCI 220 by end of second semester Freshman year
The scholarship is also contingent upon funds allocated by the South Carolina General Assembly.
- Applicants are required to submit an online application form
- Applicants are required to submit a three to five minute personal video on the following statement:
- Tell us your story! How did you become interested in computing, how has your growing interest resulted into something that you have accomplished, what are your long-term goals, where do you see yourself in ten years, and why should you be awarded the CS Leading Edge Scholarship?
- Submit your video by providing a link in the online application form
- All incoming freshman scholarship applications must be received by MONDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. EST in order to be considered
Application period is closed.
Thomas W. Carroll Scholarship in Computer Science
This scholarship was endowed by Hattie Carroll ’35 in honor of her father Thomas W. Carroll ‘32. Mr. Carroll was a long-standing member and business leader of the Charleston community. He returned to the College of Charleston later in life, working on a degree in computer science before his passing in 1986.
ELIGIBILITY: Incoming freshman, who have indicated a desire to major in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Data Science, or Computing in the Arts. Student must demonstrate academic distinction in high school records and test scores. Renewable up to three years, if recipient maintains a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and their declared major remains a computer science degree.
Application period has ended.
Crosby Computer Science Endowment Award
Named in honor of C. Richard (Dick) Crosby who started the Computer Science department in 1980.The awarding process is based upon nomination. The award is given to the highest achieving computer science students that have successfully completed CSCI 220. The Crosby Computer Science Endowment Award is presented every May during the School of Sciences and Mathematics Award Ceremony.